
Being a mom is different than I thought it would be. Sure, ive baby sat before, been around kids some, but its different when its your OWN kids. I never realized how much children rely on you for every single thing in their life. I remember one time when Courtney first started talking pretty good...she wanted something to drink and I told her in a few minutes because I was doing something. She said "but im weally sewsty" (im trying to write it, how she said it) and I remember how I felt when she said that. I felt horrible! She had to rely on me to get her a drink because she couldnt do it herself and I had told her I was busy at the moment. So, of course I stopped what I was doing to get her a drink, but Ill never forget her saying that, and the way I felt when I realized she was really thirsty and was waiting on me to get her a drink.
If i dont get them a drink, they go thristy. If i dont fix their food, they go hungry. If i dont change a wet/dirty diaper, then they have to sit in it. If i dont wash their clothes and bedding, then it stays dirty. If i dont bathe them, then they arent clean. If i dont brush their teeth, then they dont get brushed. If i dont play with them, then they play alone. If I dont do it all for them, then it doesnt get done and they are the ones who suffer.
My Courtney is growing more independent by the day. She is learning so much about life and she wants to embrace it. She wants to help with everything and she loves it. She's going to be 4 in a couple weeks and she's starting preschool. I am so excited for her, but not as excited as she is! She's going to learn so much at school and have alot of fun doing it. Her class is going to be putting on a Christmas show and an Easter show. Its going to be so neat seeing her play her part and knowing that she worked hard to learn it. She's going to be so excited to be able to participate in a play.
Catelyn is almost 2. She is learning SOOO fast! She's talking alot and she says some 3-4 word sentences/questions..her favorite right now is "What did you dooooo?" and she stretches out the DO, just like that! and her favorite thing right now is to whisper really softly "Oh NO!" when she thinks im going to get her sugars! She is such a happy little girl, just like Courtney. They both love life.
I know that sometimes some of my friends who are single, or dont have kids, just dont get it. Some of them do, but some of them dont. You dont really truly understand what life entails when you have kids, until you have kids of your own. Life isnt as simple anymore. I remember when Mark and I were dating, we'd just say "lets go out to dinner" and just get up and go. We didnt have to worry about having a bag of snacks and diapers packed. We didnt worry about changing a diaper, or putting a toddler on the potty before we left. We didnt have to run searching through the house for a lost Pooh bear or blanket that was someone's attachment. Life was so simple and we didnt even know it! Would i trade what I have today, for the simplicity of being able to get up and go when I wanted to, or to be able to sleep until 10am or later? HECK NO! I would rather spend an hour getting everyone ready to go and us all spend the evening together, than to not have the love of my children. If someone in my life cant understand that its not as easy for us to go places on a whim like they may be able to, then oh well, thats the way it is for us. We dont stay out late with friends, we have responsibility at home. Getting up early isnt that big of deal...we go to bed early, so it evens out. Watching cartoons instead of my shows doesnt phase me! I dont care about tv, but its fun to hear my kids laughing about something Dora, or Oswald did or said. Its cute to hear Courtney trying to say some spanish words that Dora says, although she has no idea what she's saying. Its funny to see Catelyn dancing around when music starts playing. No, im not a mom who says NO TV. The more you restrict things, the more they want it later. I try and even things out. They get some TV time, but they get more hands on playing time. They love books! They both spend time looking through books and probably imagining whats going on with what they see. Sometimes, i just wish i were a child again so I could savor the simple life i once had as a child. No worries. Just play all day.
I never really wanted to be more than I am right now. Going to a big college, having a good paying job, none of that appealed to me. I wanted to be a mom...a stay at home mom. I wanted to raise my kids..not have daycare raise them. Yeah, there are some things in my life that could use some improvement, but for the most part, its pretty great!! I have some regrets, but without my past, my present wouldnt be what it is today and I sure wouldnt change it! I like the person I am today. I have a good head on my shoulders, I have lots of love in my life, I have a beautiful family, I have great friends, I have more material things than I even need! I even have 2 dogs that are pretty cool!
So, has my life turned out the way I thought it would??? NO. Its better.
If i dont get them a drink, they go thristy. If i dont fix their food, they go hungry. If i dont change a wet/dirty diaper, then they have to sit in it. If i dont wash their clothes and bedding, then it stays dirty. If i dont bathe them, then they arent clean. If i dont brush their teeth, then they dont get brushed. If i dont play with them, then they play alone. If I dont do it all for them, then it doesnt get done and they are the ones who suffer.
My Courtney is growing more independent by the day. She is learning so much about life and she wants to embrace it. She wants to help with everything and she loves it. She's going to be 4 in a couple weeks and she's starting preschool. I am so excited for her, but not as excited as she is! She's going to learn so much at school and have alot of fun doing it. Her class is going to be putting on a Christmas show and an Easter show. Its going to be so neat seeing her play her part and knowing that she worked hard to learn it. She's going to be so excited to be able to participate in a play.
Catelyn is almost 2. She is learning SOOO fast! She's talking alot and she says some 3-4 word sentences/questions..her favorite right now is "What did you dooooo?" and she stretches out the DO, just like that! and her favorite thing right now is to whisper really softly "Oh NO!" when she thinks im going to get her sugars! She is such a happy little girl, just like Courtney. They both love life.
I know that sometimes some of my friends who are single, or dont have kids, just dont get it. Some of them do, but some of them dont. You dont really truly understand what life entails when you have kids, until you have kids of your own. Life isnt as simple anymore. I remember when Mark and I were dating, we'd just say "lets go out to dinner" and just get up and go. We didnt have to worry about having a bag of snacks and diapers packed. We didnt worry about changing a diaper, or putting a toddler on the potty before we left. We didnt have to run searching through the house for a lost Pooh bear or blanket that was someone's attachment. Life was so simple and we didnt even know it! Would i trade what I have today, for the simplicity of being able to get up and go when I wanted to, or to be able to sleep until 10am or later? HECK NO! I would rather spend an hour getting everyone ready to go and us all spend the evening together, than to not have the love of my children. If someone in my life cant understand that its not as easy for us to go places on a whim like they may be able to, then oh well, thats the way it is for us. We dont stay out late with friends, we have responsibility at home. Getting up early isnt that big of deal...we go to bed early, so it evens out. Watching cartoons instead of my shows doesnt phase me! I dont care about tv, but its fun to hear my kids laughing about something Dora, or Oswald did or said. Its cute to hear Courtney trying to say some spanish words that Dora says, although she has no idea what she's saying. Its funny to see Catelyn dancing around when music starts playing. No, im not a mom who says NO TV. The more you restrict things, the more they want it later. I try and even things out. They get some TV time, but they get more hands on playing time. They love books! They both spend time looking through books and probably imagining whats going on with what they see. Sometimes, i just wish i were a child again so I could savor the simple life i once had as a child. No worries. Just play all day.
I never really wanted to be more than I am right now. Going to a big college, having a good paying job, none of that appealed to me. I wanted to be a mom...a stay at home mom. I wanted to raise my kids..not have daycare raise them. Yeah, there are some things in my life that could use some improvement, but for the most part, its pretty great!! I have some regrets, but without my past, my present wouldnt be what it is today and I sure wouldnt change it! I like the person I am today. I have a good head on my shoulders, I have lots of love in my life, I have a beautiful family, I have great friends, I have more material things than I even need! I even have 2 dogs that are pretty cool!
So, has my life turned out the way I thought it would??? NO. Its better.





No comments:
Post a Comment